Guidelines for Departmental Visitors

Our department welcomes short-term visitors whose work intersects with our program. Although we are generally unable to offer office space or other forms of material support, visitors are encouraged to consult with colleagues and involve themselves in departmental activities. The following guidelines outline steps required to request a formal affiliation.

Contact a faculty sponsor. Visitors should first make contact with a faculty member who shares their interests. Visiting appointments require sponsorship by one or more members of the department. If you are unsure, contact the Department Chair.

Procedures for affiliating with the department differ for (1) short-term visitors (less than three months); (2) long-term visitors (up to one year); and (3) students.

(1) Short-term Visitors (Up to 4 months):
Short-term visitors may be granted a temporary ID Card for a period of 30 to 120 days. Obtaining a short-term ID requires invitation from the department and an application signed by the visitor, Department Chair and College Dean. If submitted as least two weeks in advance, the ID may be available upon arrival.

(2) Visiting Colleagues (Up to one year, with the possibility of renewal):
Longer-term visitors may be appointed as a Visiting Colleague up to one year. Requests are initiated by a letter of invitation from the faculty sponsor with a reply from the visitor accepting the invitation. Invitation letters should clearly state the purpose and dates for the visit.

Additional Requirements for Foreign Visiting Colleagues:
A visiting appointment for foreign colleagues requires submission of a DS-2019 visa request (five months prior to arrival) with signatures by the faculty sponsor, Department Chair, and Dean. Supporting documents must be submitted at least five months prior to the date of arrival. Faculty sponsors should write a letter of invitation which includes specific information required by the FSIS Office. Please refer to the UH J-1 Exchange Visitor Categories page to see which category you would be eligible for. For information on the DS-2019 (J-1) visa request, see:

Faculty sponsors: please read J-1 Visitor Info for Faculty, which includes a sample letter of invitation, available on Anth eFiles.

(3) Visiting Students (who wish to enroll in courses for credit):
Visiting Students who wish to enroll in courses for credit for one year or less need to apply for admission as "unclassified" students. The first step is to request endorsement from our department. Applicants then apply according to procedures listed by Graduate Division (graduate) or the Office of Admissions and Records (undergraduate).

Graduate applicants see:

Undergraduates apply to the Office of Admissions and Records (by May 1 for August start date and September for January). Additional information for international exchange students is available at the office of International Student Services:, email: