Graduate Student Funding and Financial Aid

Tuition waivers (now called "Achievement Scholarships") and partial tuition waivers may become available for incoming students during their second semester. Continuing students will continue to be eligible for these "Achievement Scholarships". Graduate students in their second year and beyond are eligible for a limited number of teaching assistantships. The department's emphasis on the anthropology of Asia and the Pacific is supported by Foreign Language and Area Study fellowships as well as East-West Center (EWC) fellowships. EWC support is available on a competitive basis to students from the United States, Asia, and the Pacific. The University of Hawai'i at Mānoa offers a variety of financial aid services (UH Mānoa Financial Aid Services).

Resources to assist you in preparing your proposal

We strongly recommend that incoming students (and applicants to our program) seek NSF Graduate Research Fellowship funding to use during their tenure in our program. Applications are generally due the first week of November each year; first-year graduate students are welcome to submit proposals for funding. To that end, we provide the following information sources for you to peruse:

Departmental Sources of Funding

Common Sources of Funding Outside of the Department

General University Sources

Regional Centers and Area Studies

Sources Outside of UHM

Application deadlines and subfields for grant sources

Please refer to our Research Funding Pages and this document [PDF] [Word document] on scholarships for graduate students.